Each of us faces constipation at least once in a lifetime. However, women and elderly people suffer from this disorder more often. Symptoms of constipation usually disappear on their own and are rarely harmful to health. Also, disruption of the bowel may be a sign of some other disease.
Symptoms of constipation, and in general - what constipation is?
This disorder is caused by the fact that the intestine poorly pushes its contents or does it with interruptions. Each person's intestines work differently: someone goes to the toilet and three times a day, and someone once or twice a week. If the urge to enter the toilet is not observed more than 3 days, then this is considered a very long period. After three or more days, the stool becomes very stiff, and it is difficult for the intestines to push it. You can say that you have symptoms of constipation if within 3 months more than 25% of the cases:
- There were difficulties with defecation;
- You had a stiff chair;
- There was incomplete emptying;
- Defecation occurred 2-3 or less times a week.
What are the symptoms of constipation and what causes them
The most frequent symptoms of the disorder are:
- Infrequent bowel movements and / or difficulties in defecation;
- Heaviness in the abdomen;
- Pain and nausea.
Most often, constipation is caused by bowel disturbance for a variety of reasons. These include:
- Insufficient water consumption;
- Insufficient fiber in the diet;
- Violation of the diet;
- Insufficient physical activity of the body or long-term immobility;
- Consumption of a large number of dairy products;
- The symptoms of constipation can be caused by stress or depression;
- Intentional retention of the stool for any reason;
- Excessive use of laxatives: over time, the muscles of the intestine become too weak to function;
- Multiple sclerosis or Parkinson's disease;
- The use of antacid preparations with calcium, iron or aluminum, analgesics, antidepressants, drugs;
- Disorders of the digestive tract;
- Irritable bowel syndrome;
- Cancer of the large intestine and many other reasons.
How to eliminate the symptoms of constipation?
To help yourself to get rid of this ailment, experts recommend using the most common methods. If the intestines do not work well, you can try to eliminate constipation by one of the following procedures:
- Consume more water;
- In the morning you can drink something hot;
- Add more fruits and vegetables to your diet, try to avoid viscous and heavy food;
- Eat prunes and bread with bran;
- If necessary, you can try a mild laxative, available in pharmacies. Do not use these drugs for more than 2 weeks without the advice of doctors, because the symptoms of constipation can become even more severe.
If the work of the intestine does not normalize within 2-3 weeks, then you should go to the polyclinic. If even a laxative has helped, but after constipation the symptoms manifest themselves again after a few days, you should also consult your doctor. Perhaps you have any other problems with the intestines, for the detection of which you will need diagnostic procedures.